It's helpful to have someone by your side after a sexual assault. You will likely have many questions and may feel scared and helpless. SACASA's trained Advocates are here to help. Our Advocates help immediately following the assault. They can also help you as you continue along your path to healing.
Advocates are available all day every day to:
- Provide emotional support
- Help with crisis intervention
- Explain options and rights to survivors as well as their parents, partners, family and friends
- Go to appointments with you
- Answer questions about what to expect
- Help you with criminal and immigration cases
Help Immediately Following The Assault
The Sexual Assault Response Service (SARS) is a 24-hour/7-day a week hospital response team that provides services to recent survivors of sexual assault. A SARS Advocate can respond to any Tucson hospital emergency department to provide victims/survivors with immediate crisis intervention and advocacy, as well as information about the victim’s/survivor’s options and rights.
The SARS Advocate will:
- Help you understand your medical and legal options and your rights as a survivor of sexual violence.
- Arrange for a medical forensic exam if you decide to get one.
- Work with the medical staff, law enforcement and others to create a safe environment for you at the hospital and after you leave.
- Connect you with counseling and other resources when appropriate.
As a victim, you have a right to a Medical Forensic Exam. A Medical Forensic Exam is a comprehensive medical exam performed by a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner/Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner (SANE/SAFE) who is a specially trained Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Physician’s Assistant or Physician with advanced education and clinical experience. >> Read more about the Medical Forensic Exam.
Longer Term Support
SARS Advocates can also help victims and survivors get started with longer-term support, such as
- Connecting you with SACASA's Therapy Services
- Helping connect you to Arizona’s criminal justice system
- Assist in obtaining Orders of Protection or Injunctions
- And more.