Safety Planning

The safety and well-being of survivors is SACASA's primary concern. We want to provide information to survivors so that they can make informed choices about services they wish to obtain and other options and resources available.

Survivor-centered approaches focus on empowerment and choice. We want to remind you that a sexual assault is never the fault of the survivor and there was nothing that could have been done to stop the assault from occurring.

The following safety planning strategies are presented to empower you, the survivor or secondary survivor, to be able to make the decision as to what is best for your life and situation. These are just suggestions and only you know what will work best for you and your individual situation.

Orders of Protection and Injunctions Against Harassment

There are two types of restraining orders that help provide protection from unwanted contact.

  1. Orders of Protection
  2. Injunctions Against Harassment

The type of order filed depends on the type of relationship you have or had with the person who caused you harm.

Orders of Protection Apply To: 

  • Spouse or former spouse
  • A person you live with or have lived with in the past
  • Immediate family members (including in-laws)
  • Someone you have a child with

Injunctions Against Harassment Apply To: 

  • Someone you have dated or are dating
  • Neighbors
  • Strangers

Both orders:

  • Are registered with law enforcement.
  • Are effective for one year. They may be renewed, depending on the situation.
  • State that the person being served may contest the order. He or she has a right to be heard in court as to why the order should not be issued. If the petitioner is notified that the defendant has a hearing scheduled to contest the order, the petitioner must appear in court or the order will be dismissed.
  • State that the defendant may be arrested if law enforcement has probable cause to believe an order has been violated.

Where To Get One

Orders of Protection and Injunctions Against Harassment can be obtained at any local City Court, UNLESS there are pending actions through a higher court (such as divorce, paternity, custody, or separation). In these cases, an Order of Protection must be filed through Pima County Superior Court.

If there are criminal charges pending through another court, it is recommended that you obtain a restraining order through that same court, or through the Pima County Justice Court.

After 4:30 p.m. weekdays, or at any time on a weekend or holiday, an emergency order of protection can be requested by contacting the Tucson Police Department (520-791-4444) or the Pima County Sheriff's Department (520-724-4900). In case of an emergency, call 911.

Tucson City Court - 103 E. Alameda, 1st Floor
(520) 791-4971 • Hours: Mon-Fri 8am – 4:30pm

Pima County Justice Court –240 N Stone Ave
(520) 740-3171 • Hours: Mon - Fri 8am – 4:30pm

Pima County Superior Court - 110 W Congress St, 1st Floor, #7
(520) 724-3215 • Hours: Mon-Fri 8am – 4:30pm

For South Tucson, Marana, Oro Valley, Sahuarita, and other jurisdictions within Pima County, orders can be obtained through Pima County Justice Court unless there are other pending actions, then refer to Pima County Superior Court.

Orders Against a Minor Under 12: These must be obtained at Juvenile Court - 2225 E. Ajo Way.  For information call (520) 724-2064 or (520) 724-4741.

In Tribal Jurisdictions: Service of process must be made through the tribal court system or tribal law enforcement. This will depend on the law of the particular tribe.

What information do I need?

To obtain an Order of Protection or Injunction Against Harassment, you will need:

  • The name, date of birth and address, if known, of the person from whom you are requesting protection (the defendant) and, if possible, any other address where that person can be reached.
  • The dates and facts of the assault, or why you believe that further harm may occur without protection.
  • A safe address and phone number where you may be contacted so the court can notify you if a hearing is scheduled or if there is a change of the hearing date.
  • Additional helpful information includes a physical description, Social Security Number, and aliases.

How much does it cost?

By law, there are NO authorized filing fees and NO authorized fees to have the Order of Protection served. Additionally, by law, there are no fees for filing or having an Injunction Against Harassment served if it is a court stipulated dating relationship.

Who can help me file an order?

SACASA Advocates can help you complete the application, answer questions and file either order. Please contact the 24-Hour Crisis Line at (520) 327-7273 or come for a walk-in appointment with an Advocate.

EMERGE! Center Against Domestic Abuse also has advocates that can help you complete the petition, answer your questions, and assist you through this process. Please call their 24 hour crisis hotline at (888) 428-0101 for information.

Safety Planning at Home

Ask yourself the following questions to assess your safety at home:

  • Is home a safe place to be?
  • Do locks/windows/doors need to be changed or replaced?
  • If you are a renter, you may request in writing that your landlord repair or install locks. Your landlord is also responsible for keeping areas on her/his property well lit (including the front/back of the building, hallways, and courtyards).
  • What else do you need to feel safe in your home?

Medical Safety Planning

  • Are there physical injuries (cuts, broken bones, stitches) that need continuous care and treatment until they heal?
  • Are there concerns for STDs and/or pregnancy? Is there testing that you would like to have done?
  • After the assault and treatment (if you went to the Emergency Department), are you still experiencing issues (pain, discharge, swelling)?

>> Click here for helpful information on physical injury follow-up

Mental Health and Emotional Safety

  • Are you experiencing thoughts and feelings that you did not have before the assault?
  • Are you experiencing flashbacks?
  • What are your coping skills to help reduce stress that have worked before in the past?
  • Are you thinking about suicide or hurting yourself or others? If you are suicidal, please call 911, the Community Wide Crisis Line at (520) 622-6000 or go to the nearest emergency department.

>> Learn more about SACASA's Therapy Services.